(this is the full recipe – it will make HUGE scones – so it may be best to halve or make 2/3 of this recipe)
- 6 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter, chilled
- 1 1/2 – 2 cups buttermilk
- 1/2 cup high quality peach jam
- 3 fresh peaches, pitted & sliced
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (if baking immediately).
2. In the bowl of a food processor fitted with a metal blade, process the flour, 1 cup of sugar, the baking powder and salt for about 30 seconds.
3. Cut the butter into 1/2-inch cubes and add it to the flour mixture. Pulse about 15 times, until the butter-flour mixture is crumbly.
4. With the processor running, slowly pour 1 1/2 cups buttermilk through the feed tube. Stop the processor as soon as the buttermilk has been added. If the dough has begun to stick together in a ball, remove it. Otherwise, add buttermilk one Tablespoon at a time and pulse until dough begins to clump up and form a ball.
5. Place the dough on a lightly floured flat surface. Pat dough into a 1/4-inch-thick rectangle, about 12×10 inches.
6. Spread a thin layer of jam length-wise over half the dough and arrange the peach slices in a single layer on top of the jam.
7. Fold the plain dough over the peaches making a 12 by 5-inch rectangle with the jam & peaches inside. Cut into 8-16 triangles and sprinkle the top with the remaining 1/4 cup sugar.
8. Bake on an ungreased baking sheet for 10-15 minutes until golden brown. Serve warm or at room temperature.
note: if freezing – shape and cut dough – then place on baking sheets in the freezer until solid frozen. Then store in freezer bags. When ready to bake – preheat oven to 425 degrees F and bake for 15-20 minutes, until golden brown.