Aug 13, 2010

Peach Blueberry Streusel Muffins

I have been blogging over 9 months and I have yet to introduce any recipes using my favorite food item – fresh, local, peaches.  The key word is local – since peaches are pretty much inedible otherwise.  So I have to wait all year until the end of July/beginning of August rolls around and I can finally indulge in the tastiest fruit on the planet!  So now that peach season is in full swing – I have been enjoying them in my yogurt every morning for breakfast and I have begun using them in as many recipes as possible.  So every Friday until I run out of time and peach season is over – I am going to share a new recipe using my favorite ingredient. 
First up, are these peach blueberry streusel muffins.  Wow – they were delicious and so easy to whip up.  I love muffins with a streusel topping and peaches and blueberries go really well together!  Enjoy! 

Ingredients

(makes 10 muffins)

  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 3/4 cup plain yogurt
  • 1 large egg
  • 3 Tbsp. unsalted butter, melted & cooled
  • 2 Tbsp. buttermilk
  • 1 medium sized peach, pitted & chopped
  • 1/2 cup fresh blueberries

Streusel topping:

  • 1/3 cup chopped pecans
  • 3 Tbsp. brown sugar, lightly packed
  • 3 Tbsp. cup flour
  • 1 Tbsp. butter
  • 1/4 tsp. cinnamon

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 375° F. 

2. Coat 10 muffin tins with baking spray or line cups using liners.

3. Combine all dry ingredients, flours through cinnamon in a large bowl.

4. In a small bowl, whisk the yogurt and eggs together.

5. Gently fold the yogurt-egg mixture into the dry ingredients until just combined. Fold in the melted butter, chopped peaches and blueberries. Divide the batter evenly among the muffin cups.

6. To make the streusel topping: In a small bowl, mix together brown sugar, flour, and cinnamon. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Mix in pecans.

7. Sprinkle topping evenly over muffin batter.

8. Bake until golden and a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffins comes out clean, approximately 25-30 minutes.

9. Let the muffins cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then flip out onto a wire rack and let cool for 10 minutes before serving.

Source: adapted from Delish

Printer-friendly version

1 comment:

  1. These look wonderful! I'm always a fan of the peach/blueberry combo!

    ReplyDelete