Aug 19, 2010

Chocolate Toffee Cookies

Cookies prior to baking – just slice and bake – so easy!
I needed a recipe that I could prepare several days in advance and just have enough time to bake the day before I needed them.  So I searched around some of my favorite food blogs – and with Smitten Kitchen (no surprise there!) I found the perfect recipe.   She touts these as better than World Peace Cookies – and I have to agree they are right up to par with those!  
I would definitely go the route that I did – which was to freeze the dough in logs and then slice and bake.  It really helped to get the perfectly round and consistent cookie.  They are definitely best when cool – so they were perfect the next day when I needed them.   I seriously want to keep a batch of these in my freeze at all times and just slice and bake as needed – they are that good.

Ingredients

  • 1/2 cup all purpose flour
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1 pound bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, chopped
  • 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
  • 1 3/4 cups (packed) brown sugar
  • 4 large eggs
  • 1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
  • 7-ounces Heath bars, coarsely chopped [note: use the candy bar – not the toffee bits]
  • 1 cup walnuts, toasted, chopped
  • Flaky sea salt (fleur de sel) for sprinkling

Directions

1. Whisk together flour, baking powder and salt in small bowl. 

2. Stir chocolate and butter in top of double boiler set over simmering water until melted and smooth. Remove from over water. Cool mixture to lukewarm.

3. Using electric mixer, beat sugar and eggs in bowl until thick, about 5 minutes. Beat in chocolate mixture and vanilla.

4. Stir in flour mixture, then toffee and nuts. Chill batter in refrigerator until firm, about 45 minutes.

5. Roll the dough into logs about 1.5 – 2 inches in diameter, wrap with wax paper and two layers of plastic wrap.  Place in freezer – can be frozen for up to a month.

6. When ready to bake – cut into 1/2-inch slices. 

7. Preheat oven to 350° F.

8. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper.  Place sliced cookies on sheet about 2 inches apart.

9. Sprinkle with a pinch of flaky sea salt. Bake just until tops are dry and cracked but cookies are still soft to touch, about 15 -18 minutes. Cool on sheets.  Then let cool completely before serving.

Source: Smitten Kitchen

Printer-friendly version

3 comments:

  1. Yum! These look amazing...I've had cookies on the brain lately in the search for the perfect cookie for my tastes. These definitely look like winners and what a tasty combo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yum! The cookies look fantastic, I love chocolate!

    ReplyDelete