It’s the time of year where zucchini start winding up on your doorstep – or in my case, my desk at work. I only grow herbs in my garden – but I know that people who grow zucchini wind up with more of it than they know what to do with. I am always happy to take any extra – just one less thing to buy at the market! I always make my favorite summer meal – summer pasta bolognese – whenever I get a fresh summer zucchini. But I decided that its been too long since I made any sort of quick bread so this chocolate zucchini version was in order. Especially since I was already grating the zucchini in my food processor for dinner – it made sense to grate some for this recipe as well.
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. espresso powder, optional
- 1/3 cup Dutch-process cocoa
- 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 2 cups shredded, unpeeled zucchini
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease an 8 1/2” by 4 1/2” loaf pan.
2. In a large bowl combine the eggs, honey, oil, brown sugar and vanilla. Beat until smooth.
3. Add the salt, baking soda, baking powder, espresso powder, cocoa and flour, stirring just until combined.
4. Fold in the chocolate chips and the shredded zucchini. Pour into the loaf pan.
5. Bake for 65-75 minutes, or until a toothpick(tester) comes out clean. Cool in pan for 10-15 minutes and then cool completely on a wire rack before slicing and serving.
Source: King Arthur Flour