(note: the recipe below makes a large amount – I recommend making half if serving 2 adults and having some leftovers)
- 1 cup bulgur wheat
- 1 1/2 cups boiling water
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (from 2 lemons)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 cup minced scallions, white and green parts (1 bunch)
- 1 cup chopped fresh mint leaves (1 bunch)
- 1 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley (1 bunch)
- 1 hothouse cucumber, unpeeled, seeded, and diced
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1. Place the bulgur in a large bowl, pour in the boiling water, and add the lemon juice, olive oil, and salt. Stir, then allow to stand at room temperature for about 1 hour.
2. Add the scallions, mint, parsley, cucumber, tomatoes and the pepper; mix well.
3. Season, to taste, and serve or cover and refrigerate. The flavor will improve if the tabbouleh sits for a few hours.