Sep 13, 2010

Farmers Market Corn Salsa

Farmers Market Corn Salsa

This is one item that I decided to ‘can’ this year – I love the idea of being able to open a jar of pure summer fresh flavors in the middle of winter. 

I first tried my hand at canning last year, when I made some peach jam.  I have to say that canning is definitely a lot of work – you have to make sure that your jars and lids are sterilized on top of actually putting together the recipe that you want to can.  Definitely do your research on proper canning techniques and recipes if you are planning on doing this – I am definitely not an expert.  But it is definitely one of my new hobbies – and I look forward to trying out many more canning endeavors! 

This salsa contains fresh corn, tomatoes, red pepper, jalapenos, red onion and fresh lime juice – you can’t really go wrong with this combo!   I haven’t opened a jar yet to eat – since I am saving them for when I can no longer get fresh corn and tomatoes – but the bit of leftover salsa that didn’t fit into the jar tasted delicious!  Have fun and enjoy!

Ingredients

  • 4 large ears of fresh corn
  • 1 cup red onion, diced
  • 1 large red pepper, diced
  • 1 large tomato, peeled and diced
  • 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced
  • 1/2 cup fresh squeezed lime juice
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
  • 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper

Directions

1. Remove husks and silts from corn and rinse.  Cut corn off cobs.

2. In a large saucepan combine corn, onion, sweet pepper, tomato, jalapeno, lime juice, salt, cumin and pepper.   Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.  Reduce heat and simmer, covered for 10 minutes.

3.  Transfer to hot, sterilized half-pint jars (4-5 jars), leaving 1/2 inch headspace.  Wipe jar rims and adjust lids.

4. Process in a boiling water canner for 15 minutes (starting when water returns to a boil).  Remove from canner and cool on wire racks. 

Source: You Can Can

Printer-friendly version

1 comment:

  1. this looks SO SO good...I'm so jealous to think you'll be eating this in the winter!

    ReplyDelete