- 1/4 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 Tbsp. minced fresh parsley leaves
- 1 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1-2 medium zucchini, scrubbed and ends trimmed (1/2 – 3/4 pound total)
- salt and ground black pepper
- 3/4 - 1 cup plain bread crumbs
- vegetable oil for pan-frying
- lemon wedges, for serving
1. Combine the ricotta, eggs, parsley, garlic, and lemon zest in a large bowl.
2. Shred the zucchini on the large holes of a box grater or a food processor.
3. Wrap with a few paper towels or a kitchen towel and squeeze tightly to remove as much moisture as possible.
4. Add the zucchini to the ricotta mixture, and season with salt and pepper.
5. Stir well to combine, and add enough bread crumbs so that the mixture is no longer sticky - about 1/2 cup or so.
6. Place the remaining bread crumbs on a plate.
7. Heat about 1/4 inch of oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
8. With about 1/3 cup of the zucchini mixture form into a 3-inch patty. Coat both sides with the bread crumbs. Place the patty on a baking sheet or platter and repeat with the remaining zucchini mixture.
9. Add as many fritters as will fit comfortably in the pan. Cook about 4 minutes per side, until the bottoms are a rich golden brown, turning once.
10. Place cooked fritters on a platter and repeat with remaining fritters.
11. Serve with lemon wedges.