- 1 1/4 cup jasmine rice
- 1 can (13.5 ounces) coconut milk
- coarse salt
- 2 Tbsp. fish sauce
- 2 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 dried hot chilies, reconstituted and diced
- 2 small sweet red chiles, seeded and sliced into 2-inch matchsticks
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 cup loosely packed torn fresh (thai or regular) basil leaves
- lime wedges, for serving
1. In a medium saucepan, combine rice, coconut milk, 3/4 cup water, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cover and bring to a boil; reduce to a simmer, cover and cook until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed, about 25 minutes.
2. When rice is almost done, combine fish sauce, soy sauce, and sugar in a small bowl; set aside.
3. Heat a cast-iron skillet or wok over high heat.
4. Add oil and heat; add garlic and the hot chiles. Cook, stirring constantly, 15 seconds.
5. Add beef and cook, breaking up meat with a wooden spoon until completely browned, about 4 minutes.
6. Add soy mixture and cook 30 seconds.
7. Add basil and sweet chiles and stir to combine.
8. Serve beef over coconut rice with lime wedges.
Source: adapted from Everyday Food TV