These cupcakes are truly Oreo epic – an Oreo cookie at the bottom, white cake with Oreo pieces mixed in and a cream cheese frosting with more Oreos mixed in. If you like Oreos – you will be in Oreo heaven with these!
They were truly outstanding – and if you want a crowd pleaser – these are definitely it! My coworkers loved them! If I didn’t have a list a mile long of cupcake recipes I want to try – I would consider making these over and over again. Heck, I may still make them over and over again! Enjoy!
for the cupcakes (makes 24 cupcakes)
- 1 stick unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour, plus 2 Tbsp. for the Oreo chunks
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 2/3 cup sugar
- 3 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 1 package Oreo Cookies (~45 cookies)
for the frosting
- 8 oz cream cheese, at room temp
- 1 stick unsalted butter, at room temp
- 1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
- 3-4 cups powdered sugar
1. Preheat over to 350F. Insert paper liners into 24 cupcake tins.
2. Twist apart 24 Oreos. Place the wafer with filling on it, filling side up, in the bottom of each paper liner. Save the 24 other halves to place in or on top of the frosting (crush them in a plastic bag with a rolling pin).
3. Cut approximately 20 Oreo cookies into quarters with a sharp knife. Toss with 2 Tbsp. flour and set aside.
4. In a large bowl cream the butter until fluffy, about 3-5 minutes. Add the milk and vanilla and mix to combine.
5. In a separate bowl mix together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
6. Add the dry ingredients to butter mixture. Mix until integrated.
7. Stir in sugar. With an electric mixer on low speed, beat for 30 seconds. Turn the mixer up to medium speed and beat for 2 minutes.
8. Add the egg whites. Beat for 2 more minutes. Stir in the quartered cookies.
9. Fill the cupcake lines three-quarters full. Bake for about 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of cupcakes comes out clean. Cool cupcakes in the pan.
10. To make the frosting - Cream butter and cream cheese until fluffy. Add vanilla extract. Slowly add powdered sugar until desired consistency is reached. If desired, fold in crushed Oreo pieces into the frosting.
11. Assemble the cupcakes - Once cupcakes have cooled completely, frost with cream cheese frosting. Sprinkle with crushed Oreos (if not mixed into the frosting) and place 1/2 of an Oreo on the frosting of each cupcake (optional).
Source: Beantown Baker