OMG – this pizza was so yummy. We went out to eat a few days before I made this and we had an appetizer with eggplant – and I couldn’t stop thinking about how wonderful it was for days later. Eggplant is not something that I cook with often – but that has now changed. I could just eat this pizza and be happy – I think it helped that both items are now in season an super fresh and flavorful.
Homemade pizza crust with fresh basil pesto, topped with roasted eggplant and grape tomatoes – and lots of mozzarella cheese – of course! YUM YUM YUM! I’m not joking – make this pizza and you will not be disappointed – I promise you. Even Ree says so – and she is one of the most popular bloggers on the planet so you have to listen to her. ;) Enjoy!
- pizza crust, your favorite recipe or store bought dough
- 1 whole eggplant
- Kosher salt, for sprinkling
- 1 pint grape tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 ounces, fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced thin or shredded mozzarella
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan Cheese
- 1/2 cup basil pesto or Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper
1. Preheat oven broiler on low.
2. Slice the eggplant about 1/4 inch thick. Sprinkle both sides with kosher salt and place into a strainer in the sink. Allow to sit for 20 to 30 minutes. Rinse eggplant lightly in cold water, then pat the slices dry between layers of paper towels.
3. Slice grape tomatoes in half lengthwise and toss into a bowl with minced garlic.
4. Cut eggplant slices into fourths, and toss with olive oil. Arrange on a baking sheet and place 8 inches under the broiler.
5. Broil for 3 minutes, then toss around and broil another 3 minutes. Remove pan from oven and add tomato/garlic mixture. Broil for 2 to 3 minutes, then remove and set aside.
6. Preheat oven to 500 degrees.
7. Drizzle olive oil on a large baking sheet and use fingers to coat thoroughly. Place half a batch of pizza dough on pan. Stretch pizza dough into a large rectangle, pressing with fingers to finish forming. Dough will be very thin.
8. Spread pesto on dough or lightly drizzle a little olive oil on the dough and use fingers to spread.
9. Spread mozzarella over the surface of the dough. Spread vegetables all over the surface of the cheese. Top with Parmesan cheese.
10. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until crust is golden brown and the cheese is bubbly. Remove from pan and slice with a pizza cutter.
Source: The Pioneer Woman