- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 pound zucchini, washed and dried, ends and stems removed, cut in half lengthwise and seeded if using large zucchini, each half cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup pecans or walnuts, chopped coarse
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
- 2 large eggs, beaten lightly
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1. Adjust an oven rack to the middle position and heat the oven to 375 degrees.
2. Grease the bottom and sides of 12 muffin cups or line with paper liners.
3. In the bowl of a food processor fitted with the metal blade, process the zucchini and 2 tablespoons of the sugar until the zucchini is coarsely shredded, twelve to fifteen 1-second pulses.
4. Transfer the mixture to a fine-mesh strainer set at least 2 inches over a bowl and allow to drain for 30 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, spread the nuts on a baking sheet and toast until fragrant, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer the nuts to a cooling rack and cool completely. Transfer the nuts to a large bowl; add the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt, and whisk until combined. Set aside.
6. Whisk together the remaining 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons of sugar, yogurt, eggs, lemon juice, and melted butter in a medium bowl until combined. Set aside.
7. After the zucchini has drained, squeeze the zucchini with several layers of paper towels to absorb excess moisture.
8. Stir the zucchini and the yogurt mixture into the flour mixture until just moistened. Spoon the batter into the muffin cups.
9. Bake until the loaf is golden brown and a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean, 18-25 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through baking. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack and cool for at least one hour before serving.