Sep 30, 2010

Naan

naan 1

Naan is essentially the Indian version of Pita bread – but actually even simpler to make since in this recipe you just cook it on the stovetop and not the oven.   I can tell why people use this to make pizza on – since that is sort of what this reminded me of.   I think next time I make these I’ll try a garlic version I’ve seen to give it some great garlic flavor.   

Tomorrow I’ll share what I served this with – my first attempt at Indian food!! :)  Enjoy!

naan 2

Ingredients

  • 1/2 cup warm water (110 degrees F)
  • 2 tsp. active dry yeast
  • 1 tsp. sugar
  • 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus extra for rolling
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 cup canola oil
  • 1/3 cup fat free plain yogurt
  • 1 large egg
  • olive oil, for cooking

Directions

1. In a large bowl, stir together the water, yeast and sugar and let stand for 5 minutes, until foamy.

2. Stir in the flour, salt, oil, yogurt and egg and stir, then knead until you have a soft, pliable dough.  Cover with a tea towel and let rise until doubled in size; about an hour.

3. Divide the dough into 6-8 pieces and on a lightly floured surface, roll out each piece into a thin circle or oval.

4. Cook each naan in a hot skillet brushed lightly with oil until blistered and cooked, flipping as necessary.

Makes about 6- 8 naan, depending on the size you roll out.

Source: The Novice Chef blog

Printer-friendly version

4 comments:

  1. WOW--I'm impressed you tackled this recipe! Congrats on getting to 50 followers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooo I love naan but I've never found a recipe! These look perfect! The last time I bought naan from a store all $30.00 worth had "gone extremely bad". Now I don't have to buy it. :) Thank you for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow those look really delicious. I'm experimenting with Indian food tonight, but I'll probably just buy pita bread. I wish I had found this recipe just a few hours earlier.

    ReplyDelete
  4. naan has been on my 'to make' list forever. yours came out perfectly!!

    ReplyDelete