Jan 18, 2011

Sponge Candy

sponge candy 1

Growing up in Buffalo, NY, sponge candy is undoubtedly sold at every chocolate shop.   Never having lived anywhere else – I’ve just become accustomed to it.  Unfortunately for most people – it is not made or available everywhere. You can check out the Wikipedia entry to find out the fun and cool names it goes by in other parts of the world – hockey pokey, sea foam or fairy food – anyone?  

Well, it is sponge candy here is Western New York – and we always have it coated in chocolate.  So one day while I was doing my weekly grocery shopping at Wegmans – I noticed a small cookbook entitled “Buffalo Cooks with Janice Okun”.  And I knew Janice Okun to be the local food critic in the area – so when I stopped to peruse the book – I opened right up to the page with a sponge candy recipe, and the book immediately ended up in my cart without a second thought.   I can’t wait to try more local recipes featured in this book!

sponge candy 3

So by now I’m sure you are wondering how you get those bubbles (aka sponge) in the candy, and surprising it is much easier than expected.  When I read the recipe I immediately realized what makes the bubbles. It is just white vinegar and baking soda – just like the volcano that many of us made in elementary school. 

Candy making can be tricky – so I was thrilled at how this turned out – it was perfect.  Just a note though – it is best to make this when the humidity is low or it may become gummy.  Also – use a candy thermometer to ensure the mixture reaches 300 degrees.     

sponge candy 2

Ingredients

  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 cup dark corn syrup
  • 1 Tbsp. white vinegar
  • 1 Tbsp. baking soda
  • 8-12 ounces bittersweet, semisweet or milk chocolate

Directions

1. Combine sugar, corn syrup and vinegar in a medium, heavy bottom saucepan.  Cook over medium heat until the sugar dissolves.

2. Continue cooking, without stirring, until the mixture reaches 300 degrees F on a candy thermometer. 

3. Remove from heat and quickly stir in the baking soda and mix well. 

4. Pour in a parchment and butter lined 9x9 inch square pan.   Cool completely.

5. Break sponge into pieces with a large knife.

6. Melt chocolate in the microwave in 30 second increments, stirring between each increment, until completely melted. 

7. Using a fork or tongs – dip into chocolate and place on parchment lined baking sheet to harden. 

Source: Buffalo Cooks with Janice Okun

Printer-friendly version

19 comments:

  1. This is my moms favorite candy, I will have to make it for her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of this, but it looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I miss sponge candy...it's my favorite! Maybe I'll try making it from this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I grew up in Buffalo, moved away for 12 years, and moved back 2 years ago. I can't tell you how many pounds of sponge candy I would bring back from visits (and orange chocolate, too!) for friends to try. So many people became hooked on the stuff I could have started my own "sponge candy importing" business! Now I have to bring it to my friends when I travel to see them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My mom absolutely loves this stuff and you can hardly ever find it in stores anymore. I am thrilled to find a recipe. Hopefully this will end my having to hunt it down every year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks delicious! One of my favorite candies, I always get excited when I see it at some little candy store.

    ReplyDelete
  7. in california this is known as chocolate covered honeycomb

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never heard of this in my life, but it sure does look great! I'm bookmarking it...wanna give it a try and see what I've been missing. :) Thanks for the recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never had sponge candy but I've heard its delicious. Looks delicious yum

    ReplyDelete
  10. This was the best sponge candy ever. Definitely worth making.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We get lots of questions on this unique type of candy. Many people consider this to be a "signature" candy from Western New York. But try to make it at home? Could be an uphill battle of ingredients, timing, advanced kitchen skills and persistence. Take a look at this web site:

    www.buffalospongecandy.com

    This is a great "Plan B" option when you have to have a sponge candy fix without the "fuss & muss & mess"...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm going to try to make it today, and I'll let you know how it turns out this week! Wish me luck! Used to get a square (4" x 4") of this when I was a kid, for a nickel! lolz On Prince Edward Island. So good! This chocolate may make it a Christmas gift too! Thanks for the recipe! and thanks for the extra website Mike

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember when I was a kid well that was 57 years ago.There was a little store & it was sold 4x4x4 squares and yes 5 cents.I have been looking for the last 5 years for this and found it at Uncles Sam's candy store in Schenectady NY I was so excited.I bought 4 bags as it was June & they don't sell in the summer because of the humidity.I put them in the fridge and although a little sticky didn't care.Now I have the ingredients gonna give it a try.

      Delete
  13. Oh wow, I clicked over to this blog because my name's Christine & I saw one of your cookie recipes (yum!)...And I'm from Buffalo too! I've since moved out of the area. Will have to try my hand at making sponge candy one of these days -- I usually just get a pound at Antoinette's and fly it back with me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too funny Christine! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  14. Love love love sponge candy. It wouldn't be Easter without it. I can't wait to give it a try at home. Great to see fellow Buffalonians with food blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've made sponge candy and used a 10 inch spring form cake pan. Lined with parchment paper, cut a circle to fit in the bottom of the pan too. I put a tall collar of parchment paper in as well. The height was almost six inches. Sprayed well with a pan spray. It still almost "grew" over the top edge of the paper!! The wait to beak it into chunks is the hardest part!! But so worth it!! I too brought it to 300 degrees and was most impressed even in mid summer with my evaporative cooler running on high it came out perfect!! So pleased as it sells here for EIGHT dollars a pound in stores. Much nicer homemade!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yay! I can't wait to try this! My daughter was just asking how you make it! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am from Buffalo and was looking to buy some orange chocolate-covered sponge candy for my Nebraska-born kids to try, but the shipping was twice as much as the candy! So now I can try to make it for them. And it's usually dry in Nebraska, especially in the winter, so I have hope that it will turn out. Thanks!

    Also, I saw Janice Okun speak about 20 years ago at a Tops in Amherst and she was so engaging. I'm glad to know that she's still doing her thing.

    ReplyDelete