- 1-2 slices white sandwich bread, crust removed and discarded, bread chopped into 1/4-inch pieces (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 Tbsp. whole milk
- 3/4 tsp. table salt
- 3/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tsp. steak sauce, such as A-1
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
1. Mash bread and milk in large bowl with fork until homogeneous. Stir in salt, pepper, garlic, and steak sauce.
2. Break up beef into small pieces over bread mixture. Using fork or hands, lightly mix together until mixture forms cohesive mass.
3. Divide meat into 4 to 6 equal portions. Form into a loose ball and then gently flatten into a 4 1/2 inch patty. Press center of patty down with fingertips until it is about 1/2 inch thick, creating a slight depression in each patty. Repeat with remaining portions of meat.
4. At this point – either freeze for future use or cook on a grill or stovetop.
Source: Cooks Illustrated