- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into pieces
- 1 box whole wheat spaghetti
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup plus 2 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 3 medium tomatoes, diced
- 1 Tbsp. fresh oregano, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped, plus 1 Tbsp. for topping
- parmesan cheese, cracked pepper & kosher salt
- 1/2 eggplant, sliced
1. Marinate chicken in 1/2 cup (more or less as needed) balsamic vinegar at least 30 minutes. Season sliced eggplant liberally with kosher salt in a colander and let sit for 30 minutes as well (once drained, rinse and squeeze out moisture between layers of paper towels).
2. Cook pasta according to package directions, drain.
3. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in large skillet over medium high heat. Add chicken and cook until cooked all the way through, about 5-8 minutes. Remove from heat, transfer to plate.
4. Preheat broiler on high. Roast eggplant under broiler for 5-8 minutes on each side, flipping once.
5. In same skillet that chicken was cooked, heat remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium high heat. Sauté garlic until golden – about 1 minute.
6. Add tomatoes, 2 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar, and herbs. Heat until sauce is slightly reduced and tomatoes softened, about 2 minutes.
7. Add pasta and chicken to tomato mixture and heat until warmed, about 2-3 minutes, tossing/stirring to fully incorporate. Serve topped with fresh basil, parmesan and eggplant slices.
Source: Erin’s Food Files