Oct 18, 2010

Concord Grape Jam

 
With my excessive amounts of Concord grapes – I knew I had to make the classic – Concord grape jam.  I am starting to feel like a canning expert – in addition to this corn salsa, I also canned peaches and tomatoes this year!  I’m not going to lie – this was a lot of work – since in addition to skinning and cooking the grapes – you have to cook everything with sugar to make it a ‘jelly’ consistency – which seemed to take longer than I thought it would.  In the midst of this – I also ran out of sugar – and thankfully I have a wonderful husband who ran out to the corner store to get me more at a moments notice.  :)
 
P.S. Grape jam makes the perfect peanut butter and jelly sandwich (if you don’t believe me you have to try it for yourself)!
Ingredients
  • 3 1/2 pounds Concord grapes (approx. 8 cups)
  • 2 cups water
  • 4 1/2 cups sugar
Directions
1. Wash and stem grapes and measure out 8 cups.  Remove skins from half of the grapes.
2. In a large kettle, combine the skinned and unskinned grapes.  Cover and cook for about 10 minutes, until very soft.
3. Press grapes through a sieve and discard seeds and cooked skins. 
4. Return 3 cups of strained pulp to the kettle and add in reserved grape skins and water. Cook, covered for 10 minutes over medium heat.
5. Uncover and mix in sugar. 
6. Bring mixture to a full rolling boil, stirring often. Continue to cook for 18-24 minutes, or until jam sheets off a metal spoon (reaches 220 degrees F).
7. Remove from heat and skim off any foam that may have formed.
8. Immediately ladle into hot, sterilized half-pint jars (this recipe fills 6 half-pint jars), leaving 1/4 inch headspace.  Wipe jar rims and adjust lids. Process in a boiling water canner for 5 minutes.  Remove jars from canner and cool on wire racks.
Source: You Can Can
Printer-friendly version

2 comments:

  1. Concord Grape Jam, hmmm.
    It looks yummy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you don't mind me asking a question about such an old post, but why skin half of them before cooking if you are just going to push them through the sieve and discard the skins after anyway? Looks yummy and my parents have a cash crop of grapes every year.

    ReplyDelete