white chocolate ice cream:
- 8 oz. white chocolate
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2/3 cup sugar
- pinch of salt
- 5 large egg yolks
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cups of raspberries, fresh or frozen
- 3 tbsp. sugar
- 1 tbsp. vodka
- 5 oz. bittersweet chocolate
1. Combine raspberries, sugar and vodka in a bowl and mash with a fork to combine. Refrigerate an hour or overnight before churning the ice cream.
2. Put the white chocolate in a large bowl with a mesh strainer on top.
3. Warm the milk, sugar and salt in a medium saucepan.
4. In a separate medium bowl, whisk the egg yolks. Slowly pour the warm milk into the yolks, whisking constantly, then scrape back into the saucepan.
5. Stir mixture constantly over medium heat until the mixture thickens and coats the back of a spatula.
6. Pour custard through a strainer over the white chocolate and stir until chocolate completely melts.
7. Chill mixture in the refrigerator then churn according to the manufacturers instructions.
8. Just before the mixture is done churning – melt the bittersweet chocolate in a bowl in the microwave.
9. Into the container you are going to freeze, layer the ice cream, half the raspberry sauce and drizzle half of the melted chocolate on top. Then repeat. Freeze until firm.
Source: adapted from The Perfect Scoop by David Lebovitz