Jun 11, 2010

Falafel

This is a recipe for a baked falafel – which is essentially a chickpea patty.  They were absolutely delicious.  They require some planning ahead, since you use dried chickpeas that need to be soaked overnight.  I’m looking forward to making these again soon, since I only had one of them.  They would make a great pita sandwich too.  So easy to make, I made the mixture in advance and kept it in the refrigerator until I was ready to bake them.  I think they would also freeze really well too - then they are an even easier meal.
 

Ingredients

  • 1 cup dried chickpeas
  • 1 yellow onion, roughly chopped (about 1 cup) 
  • 4 Tbsp. fresh parsley
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 tsp. cayenne
  • 4 cloves of garlic
  • 2 tsp. ground cumin
  • 2 tsp. dried coriander
  • juice of 1 lemon
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • up to 4 Tbsp. whole wheat pastry flour
  • Olive oil, for baking

Directions

1. Place the beans in a medium bowl and cover with a few inches of water.  Allow to soak 24 hours.

2. Drain and rinse the chickpeas, and transfer them to a food processor fitted with the steel blade.  Add the onion, parsley, salt, garlic, cayenne, cumin, coriander, and lemon juice, and pulse several times, until a paste forms. 

3. Transfer to a medium bowl, add the baking powder, and mix to combine. 

4. Add the flour, one tablespoon at a time, until the mixture stays together when formed into a ball.

5. Working 2-3 Tablespoons at a time, form the mixture into balls, then flatten into 3/4 inch thick patties. 

6. Heat the oven to 350.  Pour 2-4 tablespoons olive oil onto a baking sheet, and tilt to cover the entire sheet.

7. Line falafel on the baking sheet, and bake 20 minutes, flipping halfway through, until the outsides are browned and crispy.

Source: adapted from Pink Parsley Catering

Printer-friendly version

1 comment:

  1. Christine made these for my birthday. This is the only time I liked (loved) falafels. I froze the leftovers that she gave me and enjoyed the easy meal. yum, I plan I making these whenever I get around to buying the ingredients but I really hope Christine surprises me with some.

    ReplyDelete