- 1 1/2 quarts fresh strawberries, hulled and halved
- 4 to 5 firm stalks rhubarb, trimmed and sliced
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 2 1/2 Tbsp. Minute Tapioca
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 large orange, zested
- 1 1/4 cups Bob's Red Mill Gluten-Free All-Purpose Baking Flour or regular all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 6 Tbsp. cold unsalted butter or Smartbalance
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Butter an 11-by-8-inch glass baking dish or another dish with an 8-cup capacity.
3. In the bowl combine the strawberries and rhubarb. Add the brown sugar, vinegar, tapioca, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and orange rind. Toss thoroughly and transfer to the baking dish.
4. In a food processor, combine the flour, brown sugar, salt, and cinnamon. Pulse the mixture several times.
5. Place the butter on top of the flour mixture. Pulse again about 6 times or until the mixture looks like coarse meal.
6. Sprinkle the topping evenly and loosely over the fruit mixture, leaving fruit visible in a few spots for the juices to bubble up.
7. Transfer to the oven. Bake the crisp for 45 to 50 minutes or until the top is brown and the fruit juices are bubbling at the edges. If the top browns too quickly, place a piece of foil loosely on top until the crisp is finished baking. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Source: adapted from The Boston Globe