Well, what did I do with all of those pita breads and tzatziki sauce – well, combined together they make the perfect chicken souvlaki! Some members of my family – that enjoyed this delicious homemade meal – topped theirs with some of the Greek tomato salad. I like mine with the chicken, feta cheese, lettuce, tomato, red onion and some of that garlicky tzatziki. Completely delicious and healthy meal. I had a lot of fun putting together this Mediterranean inspired meal – and I even have one more vegetarian aspect to post tomorrow. I could seriously eat this food every single day and not grow tired of it. Enjoy!Ingredients
For the chicken marinade:
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tsp. red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 heaping tbsp. plain yogurt
- 1 tbsp. dried oregano
- Salt and pepper
- 1 1/4 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken
- Pita bread
- Fresh tomatoes, seeded and diced
- Red onion, sliced thin
- shredded lettuce
- feta cheese
- tzatziki or Greek dressing
1. To marinade the chicken, combine the garlic, lemon juice, red wine vinegar, olive oil, yogurt, oregano, and salt and pepper to taste in a medium bowl. Whisk together until mixed well. Add the chicken pieces to the bowl and mix well to coat. Cover and refrigerate for about 1 hour.
2. Cook the chicken as desired, either in the skillet, the broiler or a grill. Once the chicken is completely cooked through, transfer to a plate and let rest for 5 minutes. Cut into strips.
3. Warm the pita bread for serving.
4. Top with chicken, tzatziki sauce, feta cheese, shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes and sliced onions. Serve immediately.
Source: adapted from Annie’s Eats who adapted from Elly Says Opa!