Nov 30, 2010

Turkey Pumpkin Chili

turkey pumpkin chili 1

This is what I served in those bread bowls I made – Turkey Pumpkin Chili. Can you say YUM?  It was absolutely perfect in the bread bowls – it sort of reminded me as if I was eating a sloppy joe.  You don’t even really taste the pumpkin – but it gives a hearty-ness to the chili.    I am definitely going to add this recipe to my chili rotation – which is the perfect comfort food on a cold, winter night. 

Ingredients

  • 1 Tbsp. canola oil
  • 1 medium yellow onion, diced
  • 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 lb. ground turkey
  • 1 (28 oz.) can diced tomatoes, drained
  • 1 (15 oz.) can pure pumpkin
  • 1 (15 oz.) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
  • 2 Tbsp. chili powder
  • 1/2 tsp. cumin
  • 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
  • 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
  • 1 cup shredded Monterey jack or cheddar cheese

Directions

1. Heat the oil in a dutch oven over medium heat, and saute the onion, pepper and garlic until tender and fragrant.

2. Add in the turkey, and cook until evenly brown, breaking up into chunks.

3. Stir in tomatoes, pumpkin and beans.

4. Season with chili powder, cumin, cayenne pepper, black pepper, and salt and bring to a simmer.

5. Reduce heat to low, cover and continue to simmer 20 minutes while stirring occasionally. Stir in fresh cilantro.  Serve topped with cheese.

Source: adapted from Allrecipes (from my friend Michelle)

Printer-friendly version

1 comment:

  1. I just made a very similar pumpkin chili and loved it! I love the idea of putting it in a bread bowl yum! ;)
    http://damegoodeats.blogspot.com/2010/12/chili-week-pumpkin-turkey-chili.html

    ReplyDelete