- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 3/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 3/4 tsp. ground cloves
- 6 Tbsp. (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 15-ounce can pure pumpkin
- 1/2 cup milk
- Nonstick vegetable oil spray
- 1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 7-ounce jar marshmallow creme
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
1. Sift the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, soda, salt, nutmeg and cloves together in a large bowl.
2. Using electric mixer, beat butter and both sugars together on medium until well blended blended, about 2 minutes.
3. Gradually beat in oil. Add eggs 1 at a time, beating between each addition. Beat in pumpkin.
4. Add dry ingredients in 2 additions alternately with milk in 1 addition, beating to blend between additions and occasionally scraping down sides of bowl. Cover and chill batter 1 hour.
5. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment; spray lightly with nonstick spray.
6. Scoop batter onto baking sheets, 12 per sheet. Let stand 10 minutes.
7. Bake cakes until tester inserted into centers comes out clean, about 20 minutes, rotating sheets halfway through baking.
8. Cool cakes completely on baking sheets. Using metal spatula, remove cakes from parchment. Repeat with remaining batter.
9. To make the filling: Using electric mixer, beat sugar and butter in large bowl until fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add marshmallow creme and maple syrup; beat until blended and smooth.
10. Spoon filling on flat side of 1 cake. Top with another cake, flat side down. Repeat with remaining cakes and filling. Store in single layer in airtight container at room temperature.
Source: adapted from Bon Appetit