- 4 poblanos peppers, sliced lengthwise and gutted
- 1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 jalapeno pepper, ribs and seeds removed and diced
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1/2 cup white rice
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- Dash of hot sauce
- Salt and pepper
- 1 (15 oz.) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup shredded Monterey jack cheese
1. Preheat oven to 400. Place the peppers in a shallow baking dish and place in oven for about 15 minutes, while you prepare the filling.
2. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, add olive oil, red onion, garlic, jalapeno, salt and pepper. Saute for a 3-5 minutes, until slightly softened.
3. Add tomatoes, chicken stock, spices, and bring to a boil.
4. Add rice, stir, bring back to a boil, cover, turn to low and simmer 15 minutes.
5. Once rice is cooked stir in black beans.
6. Spoon the rice and bean mixture into pepper cups, top with cheese, place back in the oven and cook for another 15 minutes, or until cheese is melted and peppers are soft.
Source: adapted from Veggie by Season