Nov 3, 2010

Stuffed Poblano peppers

stuffed pablanos 1
I bought some poblano peppers at the farmers market and wasn’t quite sure what I was going to do with them.  So I thought it would be the perfect time to make something that I don’t often make – stuffed peppers. They are not something that I make too often (I can’t stand green bell peppers) but the sweetness of the poblanos makes them perfect for this dish.   I served this with some of the corn salsa that I canned at the end of the summer – and mixed it with some diced avocado.  Along with a few tortilla chips – this was the perfect, healthy, delicious, vegetarian meal.  Enjoy! 
stuffed pablanos 2

Ingredients

  • 4 poblanos peppers, sliced lengthwise and gutted
  • 1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 small red onion, diced
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1/2 jalapeno pepper, ribs and seeds removed and diced
  • 1 cup chicken stock
  • 1 (14.5 oz.) can diced tomatoes, drained
  • 1/2 cup white rice
  • 2 tsp. cumin
  • 1 tsp. chili powder
  • Dash of hot sauce
  • Salt and pepper
  • 1 (15 oz.) can black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 cup shredded Monterey jack cheese

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 400. Place the peppers in a shallow baking dish and place in oven for about 15 minutes, while you prepare the filling.

2. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, add olive oil, red onion, garlic, jalapeno, salt and pepper. Saute for a 3-5 minutes, until slightly softened.

3. Add tomatoes, chicken stock, spices, and bring to a boil.

4. Add rice, stir, bring back to a boil, cover, turn to low and simmer 15 minutes.

5. Once rice is cooked stir in black beans.

6. Spoon the rice and bean mixture into pepper cups, top with cheese, place back in the oven and cook for another 15 minutes, or until cheese is melted and peppers are soft.

Source: adapted from Veggie by Season

Printer-friendly version

3 comments:

  1. I love stuffed green peppers! Never thought about using a poblano. That would be even better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delicious! I love poblanos, they're my favorite pepper to use because sometimes they're spicy, sometimes sweet, and always delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, yum. I love stuffed peppers but have never tried a poblano. Next time, I'm ll about it.

    ReplyDelete