Nov 1, 2010

Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese

butternut squash mac 1
Believe it or not – I have never cooked with a butternut squash until this recipe – but that is going to come to an end.  It was so easy to prepare.  I had a feeling that I would like this recipe, but I was blown away.  It was so flavorful and easy to make.  The sweetness of the squash pairs really well with the creaminess of the cheddar cheese.  I also used skim milk – so I may dare say that this is a ‘healthy’ recipe.  I will definitely be making this again soon – and I can judge that by the fact that I could not wait to eat the leftovers for lunch the next day. YUM!
butternut squash mac 2
The finished product – my new fall favorite! 
butternut squash mac 3
Ingredients
  • 1 small butternut squash
  • 12 ounces medium sized (elbow, shells, etc.) pasta
  • kosher salt
  • 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
  • 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
  • ½ tsp. powdered mustard
  • 2 cups milk
  • 4 ounces (1 cup) Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
  • 4 ounces (1 cup) sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
Directions
1. Adjust on oven rack to the middle position and heat the oven to 425 degrees.
2. Cut the squash in half lengthwise, scoop out the seeds, and lay the halves cut side down on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
3. Bake squash for 25-35 minutes, or until a butter knife inserted into the flesh meets no resistance.  Scoop 2 cups of flesh from the squash and mash it with a fork or puree it in a blender or food processor. [Any additional squash can be pureed and frozen]
4. Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Once it boils, add about a large pinch of salt and the pasta. Cook the pasta until it’s al dente according to package directions. Drain and return the pasta to the pot.
5. Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Once the foaming subsides, add in the flour and mustard. Whisk constantly for 1 minute, then gradually whisk in the milk.
6. Bring the mixture to a simmer over medium heat, whisking frequently, then lower the heat to medium-low and simmer for 5-6 minutes, until the mixture has the consistency of heavy cream.
7. Add the cheeses, ½ teaspoon salt, squash, stirring until the cheese melts.
8. Pour the sauce over the drained pasta and stir thoroughly. Serve immediately.
Source: The Way the Cookie Crumbles
Printer-friendly version

6 comments:

  1. If you liked that, then PLEASE try Giada's "Penne with Butternut Squash and Goat Cheese." It is unbelievable! You can find the recipe on Food Network's website. So yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this looks SO delicious!! gonna try it!

    http://bit.ly/b1ZoIH

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can imagine how the butternut squash added to the creaminess and flavor of the cheese. I'm glad butternut squash worked out so well for you. The first time I tried to make it I thought I needed to peel it, so it took me an hour!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the use of squash in your mac and cheese. Delicious.

    I’d love for you to submit one of your beautiful photos, and a link to your post, to my new vegetarian photo gallery showcasing the best vegetarian dishes and recipes on the web.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This week at the lab was so busy and stressful! When I got home today I just wanted to curl up with a big bowl of comfort. When I happened to glance at the butternut squash on my counter my mission was clear. I made a version of this recipe with cheddar and swiss cheese, and then just before I added the sauce to the pasta I threw in some baby spinach, garbanzo beans and some chopped up steamed broccoli. I even chopped up some fresh tomato and sprinkled some parm on top.
    So Freaking Good.
    This creamy concoction made my night. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I featured your recipe on my blog! Thanks, can't wait to make it!!!

    ReplyDelete