- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper
- 4 cups chopped yellow onion (2-3 onions)
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 bell peppers
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- ¼ tsp. red pepper flakes
- ½ tsp. cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp. dried oregano
- 1 chipotle chili in adobo sauce, finely diced
- 2 tsp. kosher salt
- 2 (28 oz.) cans whole peeled tomatoes in puree, not drained
- 2 (15 oz.) cans beans, drained and rinsed (I used 1 can black and 1 can pinto beans)
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with foil. Place the chicken breasts on the foil, and season with salt and pepper. Fold the foil over the chicken breasts to make a “packet”. Roast 30-40 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through (about 165 degrees internal temp). Allow to cool enough to handle, then shred or chop into bite-sized pieces.
2. Heat the olive oil in a large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
3. Sauté the onions 10-15 minutes, or until tender and translucent.
4. Add the garlic to the pot and sauté just until fragrant, about 1 minute.
5. Mix in the chopped bell peppers, chili powder, cumin, red pepper flakes, cayenne, oregano, chipotle, and kosher salt. Cook 5 more minutes.
6. Using clean kitchen shears, cut the tomatoes in the open can roughly. Add the tomatoes with the puree to the pot and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes, uncovered, stirring occasionally.
7. Stir in the shredded chicken and the beans, and allow to simmer for another 20 minutes.