swiss roll cake:
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup caster sugar + extra for rolling
- 3 Tbsp. all purpose flour
- 2.5 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 Tbsp. boiling water
- a little oil for brushing the pans
Swiss roll filling:
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2.5 Tbsp. caster sugar
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 1.5 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 Tbsp. butter
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
for the swiss roll cake:
1. Pre heat the oven to 400 deg F.
2. Brush the a 9 x 11 inch baking pan with a little oil and line with parchment paper.
3. In a large mixing bowl, add the eggs and sugar and beat till very thick; when the beaters are lifted, it should leave a trail on the surface for at least 10 seconds.
4. Sift together the flour and cocoa into the egg/sugar mixture. Fold in gently with a spatula. Fold in the water.
5. Spread the mixture out evenly into the corners of the pans.
6. Place a pan in the center of the oven and bake for about 10-12 minutes or till the centre is springy to the touch.
7. Spread a kitchen towel on the counter and sprinkle a little caster sugar over it.
Turn the cake on to the towel and peel away the baking paper. Trim any crisp edges.
8. Starting from one of the shorter sides, start to make a roll with the towel going inside. Cool the wrapped roll on a rack, seam side down.
for the swiss roll filling:
1. In the bowl of a stand mixer with the whisk attachment, combine cream, sugar and vanilla and whip until thickened.
2. Open the rolls and spread the cream mixture, making sure it does not go right to the edges (a border of ½ an inch should be fine).
3. Roll the cakes up again, this time without the towel. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill in the fridge till needed, seam side down.
For the hot fudge sauce:
1. In a small saucepan, whisk together the sugar, cocoa powder, cornstarch and water.
2. Place the pan over heat, and stir constantly, till it begins to thicken and is smooth (for about 2 minutes).
3. Remove from heat and mix in the butter and vanilla. Set aside to cool.
To assemble the cake:
1. Cut the Swiss rolls into 20 equal slices (approximately 2 cm. each)
2. Cover the bottom and sides of the bowl in which you are going to set the dessert with plastic wrap.
3. Arrange two slices at the bottom of the pan, with their seam sides facing each other. Arrange the Swiss roll slices up the bowl, with the seam sides facing away from the bottom, to cover the sides of the bowl. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and freeze till the slices are firm (at least 30 minutes).
4. Soften half of the ice cream. Take the bowl out of the freezer, remove the cling film cover and add the ice cream on top of the cake slices. Spread it out to cover the bottom and sides of the bowl. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and freeze till firm ( at least 1 hour).
5. Add the fudge sauce over the vanilla ice cream, cover and freeze till firm. (at least an hour)
6. Soften the other half of ice cream and spread it over the fudge sauce. Cover with plastic wrap and freeze for at least 4-5 hours till completely set .
7. Remove the plastic cover, and place the serving plate on top of the bowl. Turn it upside down and remove the bowl and the plastic lining. If the bowl does not come away easily, wipe the outsides of the bowl with a kitchen towel dampened with hot water. The bowl will come away easily.