For the sauce
- 1½ tsp. hoisin sauce
- 1 tsp. soy sauce
- ½ tsp. sesame oil
- 1 tsp. rice wine vinegar
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. Sriracha hot sauce
For the filling
- 2 tsp. canola oil
- 1 minced garlic clove
- ½ tsp. grated fresh ginger
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 lb. ground turkey or chicken
- 2 cups mixed vegetables (e.g. frozen peas, shredded carrots, diced red pepper and chopped onion)
- ½ green apple, finely chopped
- Butter or Iceberg lettuce leaves, washed and separated
1. Combine all the ingredients for the sauce in a small bowl and mix to blend.
2. To make the filling, heat a skillet on high heat with cooking oil.
3. Once the pan is hot, add the garlic, ginger and green onions to the pan, and stir fry for a few seconds, just until fragrant.
4. Add the ground turkey or chicken, breaking into small pieces, and cook until almost cooked through.
5. Add the vegetables to the pan and cook for 1-2 minutes. Mix in the sauce and cook for about 1 minute until thickened slightly. Add the apples to the pan and toss to coat. Immediately remove the pan from the heat.
6. Serve the filling in lettuce “cups”.