Do you want to taste the best vanilla cupcakes imaginable? Did I hear you say - Yes – well try this recipe, all of your expectations will be met. The addition of the real vanilla bean, buttermilk and 5 eggs in the batter – make this flavorful, light, fluffy cake. I cannot wait to try this in the form of a layer cake. And of course, I top them with my standard favorite swiss meringue buttercream recipe (fold in some cooled, melted chocolate to make it chocolate).
It is seriously a heavenly combination! That is very hard to resist (luckily we gave most of them away- or we would have eaten them all !)
- 3 cups cake flour
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 16 tbsp. (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 cups sugar
- 5 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1¼ cups buttermilk, at room temperature
- 1 tbsp. vanilla extract
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line three cupcake pans with paper liners. Set aside.
2. In a medium mixing bowl, combine the cake flour, baking powder and salt. Whisk together and set aside.
3. Add the butter to the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment (I have this and I LOVE it). Scrape the vanilla bean seeds into the bowl of the mixer with the butter and discard the pod.
4. Beat on medium-high speed for 3 minutes, until light and creamy in color. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and beat for one more minute.
5. Add the sugar to the butter mixture, 1/4 cup at a time, beating 1 minute after each addition.
6. Mix in the eggs one at a time until incorporated. Scrape down the sides of the bowl after each addition.
7. Combine the buttermilk and the vanilla extract in a liquid measuring cup.
8. With the mixer on low speed, add the dry ingredients alternately with the wet ingredients, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients and mixing just until incorporated. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and mix for 15 seconds longer.
9. Divide the batter between the prepared paper liners, filling each about 2/3 of the way full.
10. Bake 18-22 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool in the pans 5-10 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.
Makes 36 cupcakes
Source: Annie’s Eats