Dec 24, 2009

Sugar Cookies with Royal Icing









Merry Christmas!  

This was my first attempt at Sugar Cookies with Royal Icing, I've always just used powdered sugar and milk to frost my cutouts, along with colored sugar.   The discovery of Royal Icing  has brought my cookie decorating to an entirely new level.  It was definitely tedious to complete - but the result is totally worth the effort.   I am already thinking about what cut-outs I can make next - since the only other shape I own is a heart (there will be more at valentines day!).   :)



Ingredients
for the sugar cookies
  • 3 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 cup sugar (I used vanilla sugar)
  • 2 sticks unsalted butter
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract (I make my own)
for the royal icing
  • 3 tbsp. meringue powder
  • 4 cups (1 lb.) confectioners sugar
  • 6 tbsp. warm water (plus more to reach desired consistency)


Directions
for the cookies

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Combine the flour and baking powder, set aside. 
3. Cream the sugar and butter in a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. 
4. Add the egg and vanilla and mix. 
5. Gradually add the flour mixture and beat just until combined, scraping down the bowl, especially the bottom.
6.  Place in a ball and wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to use.  
7.  Roll onto a floured surface and cut into shapes. 
8.  Place on parchment lined baking sheets and bake for 10-12 minutes. Let sit a few minutes on the sheet, then transfer to a cooling rack.


for the royal icing
1. Sift the confectioners sugar and beat all of the ingredients on the bowl of a stand mixer on low speed until stiff peaks form (7-10 minutes).  
2.  Continue to add water until you reach the desired consistency.  
3.  Use gel food colorings to dye the icing without adding too much extra moisture.  


Have fun decorating!!!  Here is a great post that describes the how-to of decorating with royal icing. 


Cookie recipe slightly adapted from Bake at 350  A great blog to check out for cookie inspiration! 
Royal icing recipe from Wilton




4 comments:

  1. They look great, I have yet to attempt royal icing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe this was your first time using royal...the cookies look just amazing! Great job and Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! I had fun with these :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look WONDERFUL for your first attempt! :) Good job.

    ReplyDelete