Mar 16, 2011

Tortellini and Spinach Soup

spinach tortellini soup 2

I love a quick, easy, healthy meal.  Weeknights can really be rough – especially if I also workout. I’m usually starving and some nights I really do not feel like cooking.  So its great to have a really easy meal in your back pocket.  This soup uses the pre-packaged tortellini, canned diced tomatoes and fresh baby spinach.  It is soup-er simple to make and even simpler to eat!  Enjoy

spinach tortellini soup 1

Ingredients

  • 1 Tbsp. olive oil
  • 1/2 cup onion, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
  • 1 (15 oz.) can diced tomatoes, with juices
  • 4 cups low-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
  • 9 oz. cheese tortellini
  • 3 cups fresh baby spinach, loosely packed
  • Salt and pepper
  • grated Parmesan cheese, for serving

Directions

1. In a large stock pot or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. 

2. Add the onions to the pan and cook until they soften, about 5 minutes.  Add in the garlic and cook, stirring frequently, just until fragrant, about 1 minute.  Mix in the oregano and diced tomatoes.  Add the broth to the pot.  Bring the mixture to a boil. 

3. Add the tortellini to the pot and cook according to the package directions. 

4. One minute before the tortellini is fully cooked, stir in the spinach.  Remove from the heat.  Season with salt and pepper to taste.  Serve warm with grated Parmesan as desired.

Source: Annie’s Eats

Printer-friendly version

4 comments:

  1. Oh my, this looks so good. I LOOOVE tortellini... I will make this soon and let you know how it turns out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy, yummy, yummy! Made this for my dad today who came over for lunch. It was perfect for me because it was so very easy to make which is ideal for me with the baby. Easy soups like this make me sad winter is coming to a close...just kidding.

    -Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so good and so easy which is good because lately I am too tired to do much cooking on weeknights. I am also loving the food photography on your site. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete