Mar 11, 2011

Sugared Walnuts

candied walnuts 2

I was so incredibly excited when Penzeys spices opened up a store in Buffalo.  A few years ago, I had gotten a gift card from a friend that lives in the mid-west, so prior to the store opening up I had ordered from their website several times.  The other great thing is that is really close to my work – so I can hop over there on my lunch break and use their awesome coupons and stock up my spice cabinet.  What this has to do with this recipe is that directly across the street is Globe market, a really great local eatery.  I sometimes also pick up a quick lunch while I’m there.  I recently ordered their simple house salad – and it was the kind of salad that kept lingering in my memory. I needed to have it again, stat!.  I looked on their site and realized how incredibly easy it was to make – mesclun mixed greens, dried apricots, crasins, chevre cheese and sugared walnuts with a balsamic vinaigrette.  I realized that the only thing I really had to make to re-create this recipe is the walnuts.  And it turns out these are really easy to make at home – so I may have a problem now I still can’t stop thinking about making this salad again because of these walnuts!  I made it even easier on myself by using a bottle of Newman’s Own balsamic vinaigrette that I already had – but you can easily make your own too.  Enjoy!  

candied walnuts 1

Ingredients

  • 1/2 cup confectioner’s sugar
  • 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
  • 2 cups walnut halves

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

2.  Combine sugar and salt in a large bowl.

3. Bring a small saucepan of water to a boil. Add walnuts, and blanch for 2 minutes. Drain, and immediately toss with sugar-salt mixture and coat thoroughly.

4. Transfer walnuts to a rimmed baking sheet, and bake, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, about 10 minutes. Let cool.

Source: Martha Stewart

Printer-friendly version

3 comments:

  1. Easy, delicious and...très chic!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. The recipe sounds so simple, but it looks gorgeous...!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I ate it and like all Christine does. Delicious.

    ReplyDelete