Mar 4, 2011

Pomegranate Sherbet

pom sherbet 1

When I saw this recipe featured on the Kitchn – I immediately knew I wanted to make it.  I already had all of the ingredients on hand – and honestly, plain pomegranate juice is not that exciting on its own.  I knew it was meant to be – when I realized I had 1/2 cup of heavy cream left in my fridge – exactly what is called for in this recipe.  I love love love Orange sherbet – so I am definitely a sherbet fan, but once I churned this in my machine I didn’t have the same must.eat.now feeling like I get when I make a traditional ice cream recipe. 

pom sherbet 3

So regretfully, I waited about two days after I churned this before I actually tried the final result.  And I’m trying to be emphatic when I say this – it is utterly amazing!  So smooth, yet tart and so refreshing.  I can’t wait to eat this on a hot summer day. The best part too is that it is very easy to make.  I’ll have to make a double batch next time – because this was gone too quick and I still have more pomegranate juice in my fridge. Smile

pom sherbet 2

Ingredients

  • 2 Tbsp. water
  • 1/2 tsp. gelatin
  • 1 1/2 cups pomegranate juice
  • 1/2 cup plus 2 Tbsp. sugar
  • pinch salt
  • 1/2 cup heavy cream

Directions

1. Put the water in a small saucepan and sprinkle the gelatin over the top. Let it sit for a few minutes, then turn the heat on low.

2. Heat, stirring occasionally, until the gelatin dissolves.  Pour in the pomegranate juice.  Add the sugar and salt.  Stir gently until the sugar is fully dissolved.

3. Transfer the juice mixture to a bowl and refrigerate until completely chilled. Stir in the cream.

4. Freeze in an ice cream maker according to your manufactures instructions. Then put it in the freezer to firm completely.

Source: The Kitchen, who adapted from The New York Times

Printer-friendly version

1 comment: