Mar 15, 2011

Panko crusted Salmon

panko salmon 1

I’m always looking for new ways to make salmon – which is definitely my favorite fish to eat.   To go with the farro risotto and asparagus – I found this recipe for panko crusted salmon.  When I’m making two new recipes together on the same night – I try to make sure that one of can be left relatively unattended while I put together the other one.  Luckily, the farro risotto needed to simmer for a good 20 to 25 minutes – with just the occasionally stir.  This was the perfect time to prep the fish to be cooked.  Whenever I’m cooking fish I make sure that everything else is pretty much done cooking before I even begin to cook the fish.  It really does not take long to cook – and I’ve found that it makes a world of difference if it is cooked to just the right temperature and not overcooked at all.  Enjoy! 

farrow risotto and salmon

Ingredients

  • 1/3 cup panko
  • 1 Tbsp. minced fresh parsley or 1 tsp. dried
  • 1 tsp. grated lemon zest
  • kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 Tbsp. olive oil
  • 2 salmon fillets
  • 4 tsp. Dijon mustard

Directions

1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.

2. In a small bowl, combine the panko, parsley, lemon zest, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and 1 Tablespoon of olive oil.  Stir until the crumbs are evenly coated, and set aside.

3. Brush the tops of the salmon with the Dijon mustard, then season with salt and pepper.  Press the panko mixture thickly on top of each fillet. 

4. Heat 1 Tablespoon of olive oil in an ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat.  Wait for the oil to be very hot, then gently add the salmon fillets and sear for 3-4 minutes, without turning.

5. Transfer the pan to the oven for 5 to 7 minutes, until the salmon is almost cooked through (between 125 and 130 degrees F), and the panko has browned.  

Source: seen on Pink Parsley, originally from The Barefoot Contessa, How Easy is That?

Printer-friendly version

1 comment:

  1. Hey there! Just wanted to tell you that I'd like to pass on the Stylish Blogger award to you! Love your blog...you can pick up the award on my blog post:
    http://cookingwithwineinafish-bowlsizedglass.blogspot.com/2011/03/blog-award.html

    :-)

    ReplyDelete