Feb 8, 2010

Chicken fried rice

Fried rice is something that I almost never get with Chinese take-out.  I always make sure I'm getting white or brown rice with my meal.  But for some reason the idea of homemade chicken fried rice really appealed to me.  This recipe makes a LOT of food - so it is great for a crowd or you might want to halve it.  I ended up eating it for lunch three days in a row and I never got sick of it - so that in itself is a testament of how good it was.

Ingredients
  • 1 tsp. sesame oil
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 1.5 lbs cooked, cubed chicken breasts
  • 2 carrots, diced
  • 2 stalks celery, diced
  • 1 large red pepper, diced
  • 1/2 lb. snow peas
  • 6 cups cooked rice (note: make this a day ahead of time for the best results)
  • 2 eggs, lightly beaten
  • 1/3 cup plus 2 tbsp. soy sauce
  • 3 green onions, sliced
Directions
1. Heat sesame oil in a large wok or skillet.  Add onion, carrots, celery and pepper.  Cook until softened 5 - 6 minutes.
2. Add in chicken and 2 tbsp. soy sauce.   Stir to combine.  Then add in snow peas, continuing to stir. 
3.  Add in rice and stir throughly to combine and heat the rice.
4.  Add in 1/3 cup soy sauce and eggs.  Cook until eggs are cooked and rice is golden brown. Garnish with green onions.  

Source: adapted from Allrecipes

No comments:

Post a Comment