Feb 22, 2010

Bolognese Sauce

This is an excellent version of Bolognese sauce - which is one of my absolute favorite pasta sauces.   I also made my own pasta - which really put this meal over the top.   The original version is from Mario Batali - who is now one of my favorite chefs.  I used to not be a fan of his - and then I read 'Heat' and it completely changed my opinion of him.   It's a great book - I highly recommend it if you like foodie literature :)  But for now - since it's still cold outside - and if you have a few hours to put this together - go make this sauce!!


Ingredients
  • 2 medium onions, chopped
  • 4 celery ribs, chopped
  • 2 medium carrots, chopped
  • 5 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
  • 2 pounds ground meatloaf mix (mix of pork, veal and beef)
  • 1 6-ounce can tomato paste
  • 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
  • 1 cup dry white wine (I used dry vermouth)
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves (or 1/2 tsp. dried thyme)
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon fresh black pepper
  • 1 cup heavy cream
Directions
1. Heat oil in a large dutch oven. Add onions, celery, carrots and garlic and sautee over moderate heat until softened. This should take about 5 minutes.
2. Add ground meat and cook until no longer pink, breaking up the meat as it cooks. This should take about 6 minutes.
3. Add the tomato paste, heating it and mixing it in the cooked meat. 
4. Add the white wine and deglaze the pan. 
5. Add the water, canned tomato and thyme and gently simmer the sauce, covered, until it thickens and reduces, about an hour to an hour and a half. 
6. Once thickened add salt and pepper and heavy cream. Stir.

Source: adapted from Joy the Baker originally from Mario Batali

3 comments:

  1. Hi Christine! I was so excited to get your comment today..it's nice to reconnect with you! Hope the veil worked out well :) Your blog is adorable too. I recently made bolognese from scratch w/ fresh pasta, isn't it divine?

    ReplyDelete
  2. THere is nothing like a good Bolognese sauce!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thers nothing better than a great big bowl of Bolognese sauce for dinner!

    ReplyDelete