I was traveling for work a few weeks back and I had a black bean burger topped with guacamole and pico de gallo at Max and Erma's in the airport. I don't normally like going to chain restaurants but sometimes you have no choice and I like to go to ones that I don't have where I live. I was so happy to have made the right choice - since after I had this burger I could not stop thinking about it. I couldn't find a knock-off recipe online - but I remember that I saw this recipe on Sanda Lee's show one time. So this was the perfect opportunity to try it out. I am so glad I did - both my husband and I really enjoyed this - it's a great healthy, fulfilling meal. I used wholy guacamole and fresh pico de gallo. I can't wait to have this again soon (we actually have three more left in the freezer!).
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 (15-ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained, divided
- 2 tbsp. freshly chopped cilantro leaves
- 2 tsp. freshly chopped parsley leaves (I used 1 tsp. dried)
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
1. In a food processor, pulse onion and garlic until finely chopped. Add 1 can black beans, cilantro, parsley, egg, and red pepper and pulse to combine.
2. Transfer mixture to a large mixing bowl, add the remaining can of black beans and the bread crumbs. Season with salt and pepper, to taste, and mix until well combined.
3. Divide remaining mixture into 5 (or 6) portions and form into patties - refrigerate for 30 minutes to firm up.
4. Place 1 tbsp. oil in pan or grill pan over medium heat and cook about 6 minutes a side or until heated through.
5. Serve on toasted buns and top with guacamole and pico de gallo.
adapted from Sandra Lee - Food Network