Feb 1, 2010

Tomato Soup

There is nothing more comforting than tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches on a cold winter day.  I'm not sure why I never made my own tomato soup before - my husband loves tomatoes.  We both really enjoyed this soup - I enjoyed it more than I thought I would.  I don't think I would like it as much on its own - it's more of a dip for my sandwich than anything else.   This is a cream-less version of tomato soup - which is a great way to cut calories - but I think I would prefer it with the extra richness that the cream provides.  
Ingredients
  • 4 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
  • 1 medium onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • pinch of hot red pepper flakes (optional)
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 2 (28 oz) cans whole tomatoes
  • 1 tbsp. brown sugar
  • 3 large slices good quality sandwich bread, cubed  
  • 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
 Directions
1. Prep your sandwich bread by removing the crusts and cube into bite sized pieces.
2. Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat then add onion, garlic, red pepper flakes and bay leaf. 
3. Cook while stirring frequently, until onion is translucent, about 3 to 5 minutes.
4. Stir in the tomatoes and their juice, brown sugar and bread; bring soup to boil. Reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally with a potato masher, until bread is completely saturated and starts to break down. Remove and discard bay leaf. 
5. Transfer the soup to blender or use a immersion blender in the pot and process until soup is smooth and creamy. 
6. Return the soup into the dutch oven (if you transferred it to a blender) and stir in the chicken broth. Bring the soup to boil and season to taste with salt and pepper. Sprinkle each portion with pepper and drizzle with a garnish of olive oil.


1 comment:

  1. I love tomato soup but have not made it myself this way....blended. Would love to try making it myself one day.

    ReplyDelete