I have a tendency to buy too many bananas – and everyone knows the problem with bananas are that they are all under-ripe and then since you don’t eat all of them the day they are perfectly ripe the rest are over-ripe before you even get a chance to eat them. I decided that this time I must make banana bread with them before fruit flies decided to infest my kitchen.
This bread has coconut throughout and on the top and then its covered with a simple lime glaze. The banana/coconut/lime combination make this the perfect tropical treat. So enjoy and pretend you are someplace tropical and warm while you eat it!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 3/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup (4 Tbsp.) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 3 mashed ripe bananas
- 1/4 cup sour cream or plain yogurt
- 3 Tbsp. milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup coconut
- Topping: 2 Tbsp. additional coconut
- Glaze: 1/2 C powdered sugar whisked with 1 1/2 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Whisk flour, baking soda, and salt together and set aside.
3. In a large mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar until blended. Add eggs and beat to combine. Add banana, sour cream or yogurt, milk, and vanilla. Beat until blended.
4. Add flour mixture and beat at a low speed until just combined. Stir in 1/2 C coconut.
5. Pour batter into a 9×5″ loaf pan that has been sprayed with non-stick spray. Sprinkle additional 2 Tbsp. coconut on top.
6. Bake in the oven for about 1 hour or until a knife or skewer inserted in center comes out clean. Check bread after about 40 minutes. If the top has browned and the coconut pieces are looking toasty, cover top of bread lightly with a piece of foil. Continue baking until done.
7. When done, remove pan from oven. Let cool on a cooling rack for about 10 minutes and then carefully remove from pan. Whisk powdered sugar and lime juice together for the glaze and then drizzle over top. Cool for at least another 15 minutes before slicing.
Source: adapted from Our Best Bites