Nov 9, 2011

Sausage, spinach gnocchi soup

sausage gnocchi soup 1

I kept moving this soup around my weekly menu – I just wasn’t in the mood for it.   Then I finally had to make it – since baby spinach does not last forever in the fridge!   I’ve since regretted every second I didn’t make this soup sooner.   

sausage gnocchi soup 2

It’s so comforting and filling – sausage, spinach, red peppers, and potato gnocchi in a chicken broth.   My husband kept saying, “I really really like this soup!” while eating it.   My grocery store had ‘mini’ gnocchi – which were perfect for this soup – so use those if you can find them (I shop at Wegmans by the way)  Enjoy!

sausage gnocchi soup 3

Ingredients

  • 1 yellow onion, diced
  • 1 red pepper, diced
  • 1 Tbsp. olive oil
  • Kosher salt and fresh black pepper
  • 1 pound chicken or turkey Italian sausage, ground or removed from casings, hot or sweet
  • 4 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 tsp. dried basil
  • 32-48 ounces low-sodium chicken broth
  • 1 pound gnocchi (mini or regular)
  • 2 cups fresh baby spinach leaves,
  • Parmesan cheese, fresh grated, for serving

Directions

1. In a large pot over medium heat, pour in olive oil and sauté onion and red pepper until tender, 5-8 minutes.  Season with salt and pepper.

2. Add the sausage to the pot to brown, breaking it apart as it cooks.  When sausage is cooked add garlic to pot and sauté until fragrant, about 30 seconds.

3. Add the basil and chicken broth and simmer for 20 minutes.

4. Add gnocchi and spinach, bring to a simmer and cook until gnocchi puff up and start to float (check package for cooking time). Serve with Parmesan cheese.

Source: adapted from Cinnamon Girl Recipes

Printer-friendly version

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing your recipe. I just made it and it taste wonderful. The only change I made was adding a 1/2c of heavy whipping cream.

    ReplyDelete