Nov 17, 2011

Buttermilk Chocolate Cookies

chocolate buttermilk cookies 1

I had some buttermilk in my fridge – left over from making my favorite waffles – and I wanted to figure out what to do with it.   When I’m stressed or upset – I like to bake – it keeps me occupied and gives me time to think.  I should probably try to exercise more for the same reasons – but baking is much more fun (for me!) than exercising. 

chocolate buttermilk cookies 2

These cookies were so easy – sometimes I love a dessert that doesn’t require a mixer and can be easily mixed up in one bowl.  I recommend using good quality cocoa powder (I use Penzeys) and chocolate chips (Ghirardelli) – it makes a world of difference in something like this that has just a few ingredients.  The cookies turn out very soft – perfect with a glass of milk.  

chocolate buttermilk cookies 3

Ingredients

  • 1 cup all purpose flour
  • 1/4 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 cup (4 Tbsp.) unsalted butter
  • 1/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp. Dutch-process cocoa powder
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1/3 cup buttermilk
  • 1 cup bittersweet chocolate chips

Directions

1. Preheat the oven to 350 F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone liners.

2. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda and salt.

3. Melt the butter in a small, microwave safe bowl.  In a large bowl, combine the melted butter with cocoa powder and whisk until smooth. Whisk in sugar, vanilla extract and buttermilk. Gradually stir in the flour mixture until no streaks of flour remain. Fold in the chocolate chips.

4. Drop dough in 1-inch balls into prepared baking sheet, leaving about two inches between cookies to allow for spread.

5. Bake for 10-12 minutes, until cookies are set around the edges.  Cool for 2-3 minutes on a baking sheet, then transfer to a wire rack with a spatula to cool completely.

Makes about 2 dozen cookies

Source: Baking Bites

Printer-friendly version

2 comments:

  1. Baking vs. Exercising hmmmm.
    The cookies were delicious and I love you when you think.

    mike

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've made these with leftover buttermilk before...I love them!

    ReplyDelete