Feb 2, 2011

Whole wheat Pancakes

wheat pancakes 1

Ah, Sunday morning breakfast – the smell of the weekend.  I end up making waffles or pancakes, since my husband doesn’t eat eggs (which are my favorite breakfast item).  I wanted to make a whole wheat pancake to add a little more fiber to our breakfast.  What I love about pancakes is that I can customize them to the person – I love blueberries in mine and my husband likes chocolate chips in his (tastes like a giant chocolate chip cookie).  I loved how simple these were to make and how fluffy they turned out.  Definitely a keeper.  Enjoy!

wheat pancakes 2

Ingredients

  • 1 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1 1/2 Tbsp. sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter, melted and cooled

Directions

1. Mix together all of the dry ingredients in a large bowl.

2. Whisk together all of the wet ingredients in a measuring cup.

3. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix to combine – just until all ingredients are blended.  Let rest for 5 minutes.

4. Heat a griddle or non-stick frying pan over medium-low heat for several minutes.

5. Spoon pancake batter into pan and cook until bubbles form in the batter and bottom is golden, approximately three minutes [at this point – add in any fillings you want to use].  Flip and cook until the second side is golden, another a minute or so.

Source: Alton Brown – I’m just here for more food

Printer-friendly version

3 comments:

  1. These look really great. I think I"ll save the recipe for a weekend treat for my husband.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These do look delicious. I have somewhat the same problem with my fiance. Every weekend he makes a full batch of pancakes, but he is pretty much the only person who eats them. I freeze them, but he usually forgets they are there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love pancakes and make all different kinds. They are so fun and yummy!

    ReplyDelete