Feb 21, 2011

Baked Southwestern Egg Rolls

southwest egg rolls

It’s been over a year since the last time I made something with egg roll wrappers.  I walk by them every single time I grocery shop – and always think to myself that I need to find something else to make with them (I think next I’m going to make pizza logs).

These southwestern egg rolls – are sort of a trick to the senses.  You are expecting to eat something Asian inspired since they are wrapped like an egg roll.  But one bite in and you know they are Mexican flavored.  I love that these are vegetarian and make for a great party appetizer or a light meal.  You definitely need a big bowl of salsa to dip these in.   Enjoy!

Ingredients

  • 2 cups frozen corn, thawed
  • 1 (15 oz.) can black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 (10 oz.) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
  • 2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend
  • 1 (4 oz.) can diced green chiles, drained
  • 4 green onions, chopped
  • 1 tsp. ground cumin
  • 1/2 tsp. chili powder
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 tsp. pepper
  • 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
  • 1-2 packages egg roll wrappers (about 24 total)
  • 1 egg white, lightly beaten with 1 tsp. water

Directions

1. In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients except the egg roll wrappers and egg white.  Mix well to blend. 

2. Lay an egg roll wrapper out on a work surface so that one of the corners is pointing toward you and place 1/4 cup of the filling in the center.  Fold the tip closest to you up over the filling, roll a bit, then take the points pointing outward and fold them in toward the center.  Continue rolling into an egg roll shape until a small part of the remaining point is still free. 

3. Lightly brush beaten egg white on the edges of the free corner.  Finish rolling and press to seal closed.  Repeat with the remaining wrappers and filling.

4. Preheat the oven to 425˚ F.  Lightly oil a baking sheet with cooking spray.  Place the sealed egg rolls on the baking sheet seam side down and spray the tops of the egg rolls with cooking spray. 

5. Bake for about 15 minutes, or until lightly brown, turning halfway through baking.  Serve warm with salsa.

Source: Annie’s Eats

Printer-friendly version

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for reminding me of these! Pizza logs are super yummy by the way! We add mushrooms to ours and they are delicious. Now I wish I added it to my menu this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a brilliant idea! I rarely use egg roll wrappers, but when I do I always make Asian-esque egg rolls. I love your creative twist. It's even more awesome because you baked them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wanted to tell you that I finally tried these last week. Yummy! I feel like it needed more cheese, but that's me and I'm a cheese addict.

    I was so dedicated to trying these I had to go to two different Wegmans to get the egg roll wrappers. Annoying, but worth it :)

    ReplyDelete