This is my absolute favorite recipe for chicken parmesan - its very easy and does not involve frying - which is messy and can take forever. It's great the next day - and we even used them to make chicken parm sandwiches for lunch! Enjoy!
for the Chicken:
- 1 1/2 cups Panko bread crumbs
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1/2 cup Grated Parmesan
- 1/2 c Flour
- 1 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- Salt and Pepper
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 tbsp water
- 3 Large Boneless skinless Chicken Breasts, trimmed of excess fat and sliced into 6 servings
- 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1 tbsp minced fresh Basil
1. Preheat the oven to 475 degrees.
2. Toast the breadcrumbs and oil in a a 12-inch skillet over medium heat until golden brown. Spread the bread crumbs in a shallow bowl and allow to cool, then stir in Parmesan.
3. In a second dish, combine flour, garlic powder, 1 tsp salt, and 1/2 tsp of pepper.
4. In a third dish, whick together egg whites and water.
5. Line a baking sheet with foil and place a wire rack on top. (The rack is imperative if you want the bottom of the chicken to be crispy.) Pat chicken dry then season with salt and pepper. Dredge the chicken the flour mixture (shaking off the excess), then egg whites, then coat with bread crumbs. Lay chicken on the rack. Repeat with each piece.
6. Quickly spray tops of the chicken with cooking spray, we used canola oil spray. Bake until the meat is no longer pink and then center feels firm, about 15 minutes
7. Remove the tray from the oven. Spoon 2 tbsp of the tomato sauce (recipe below) then a 1/4 oz of shredded mozzarella to the top of the chicken and return to the oven until the cheese has melted, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle with basil and serve.
Quick Tomato Sauce
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves - minced
- 2 tsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1/8 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/8 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 (28 oz.) can of crushed tomatoes
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can of diced tomatoes
- 2 tbsp. minced fresh basil
- salt and black pepper