Nov 13, 2009

Vanilla Bean Poached Pears



I am still mourning the end of Peach season - my favorite fruit.   I saw this tutorial about how to poach pears at David Lebovitz and I thought I'd give it a try!  It is so easy to do - and delicious.   

Ingredients

  • 2 quarts of water
  • 2 2/3 cups of vanilla sugar
  • 8 bosc pears, pealed, cored and sliced in quarters
  • 1 vanilla bean sliced lengthwise

Directions

1. In a large saucepan, heat the water and sugar until warm and the sugar is dissolved. Add the vanilla bean.
2. Slide in the pears and cover with a round of parchment paper, with a small hole cut in the center.
3. Keep the liquid at a very low boil and simmer the pears until cooked through, 30 minutes, depending on the pears.
4. Remove from heat and let the pears cool in their liquid.

5. Store the pears in their liquid in the refrigerator, in a covered container, until ready to use.

 adapted from David Lebovitz






No comments:

Post a Comment