I pretty much only cooked on our grill for the entire Summer – it was just too hot in the kitchen! Also the main reason I haven’t been doing any baking either! But these pesto turkey (or chicken) burgers are just too good to pass up. I liked that the pesto was a mix of spinach and basil – so it wasn’t overpowering and provided even more nutrients. Enjoy this for the rest of Summer while it lasts!
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 4 Tbsp. olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 lb. ground turkey or chicken
- fresh tomato slices
- sliced fresh mozzarella
- burger buns
1. In a food processor, combine the basil, spinach, garlic and walnuts. Add in the oil while the machine is running. Add in 1 Tbsp. of water and season with salt and pepper. Scrape down sides of the bowl until pesto is all combined.
2. Heat grill over medium-high. Combine 1 Tbsp. pesto, 3/4 tsp. salt, 1/4 tsp. pepper and chicken or turkey and form into 4-5 patties.
3. Grill patties, covered for about 4 –6 minutes. Flip patties and top with cheese. Add tomatoes to the grill and grill until lightly charred. Toast buns.
4. Assemble burgers with tomatoes and extra pesto.
Source: Everyday Food July/Aug 2012