Jul 14, 2011

Strawberry Daiquiri Ice Cream

strawberry daqu ice cream 2

My husband and I went to Bermuda for our honeymoon two years ago.  And while on the cruise ship there we did a rum tasting – and ended up buying three bottles of rum!   So when I had an overabundance of strawberries and I found this recipe (which includes rum!) – I knew I was all set!  Actually adding alcohol to homemade ice cream helps keep a softer consistency when frozen.   Fortunately this only made a small dent in both my strawberry and rum stash – so I can definitely make more of this when I feel like it!. 

I have to say – this is some of the best ice cream I’ve ever made.  It’s super smooth, creamy and sweet.   

strawberry daqu ice cream 3

Believe me – you will see the bottom of your glass before you know it!   Enjoy!

strawberry daqu ice cream 4

Ingredients

  • 1 cup sugar, separated
  • Zest from 2 limes
  • Pinch salt
  • 1 1/2 cups half-and-half
  • 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
  • 4 egg yolks
  • 1 1/2 cups (~12 ounces) strawberry puree
  • 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
  • 3 Tbsp. rum

Directions

1. In a medium saucepan, rub the lime zest into 1/2 cup of the sugar until fragrant.  Add the half-and-half  and pinch of salt and heat the mixture over medium-high heat until it simmers.

2. Pour the cream into a large bowl; set a fine-mesh strainer over the bowl.

3. In a separate medium bowl, beat the egg yolks with the remaining 1/2 cup sugar. When the half-and-half simmers, very slowly pour it into the beaten egg yolks, whisking constantly.

4. Pour the mixture back into the pot and bring just to a simmer over medium heat, still whisking constantly (the mixture should reach 170 degrees F).

5. Pour through the strainer into the bowl with the cream; stir to combine. Mix in the strawberry puree, lime juice, and rum.  Chill until cold, at least 4 hours or up to overnight.

6. Freeze the ice cream custard in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions and freeze until firm.

Source: slightly adapted from The Way the Cookie Crumbles

Printer-friendly version

No comments:

Post a Comment