I made a call out on Facebook for suggestions when I had my 16 quarts of strawberries – and I got lots of suggestions on what to make and this was one of them (thanks Cathy!). I liked the idea of making things that can be frozen – like ice cream, popsicles, etc. – because they last much longer than say a strawberry cake or muffins. These were really simple to mix up together and I enjoyed that the crust stayed crunchy. Another cool, refreshing treat to make for a summer get together! Enjoy!
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 cups brown sugar
- 1/4 cups slivered and chopped almonds
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 2 whole egg whites
- 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1/4 cups whipping (heavy) cream
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 2 cups crushed strawberries
1. Preheat oven to 325°F.
2. Combine flour, brown sugar, almonds and melted butter in a medium bowl. Spread gently in an 8×8″ pan.
3. Bake at 325°F for 20 minutes. Stir a couple of times. Cool.
4. Once cooled, evenly press 2/3 of the mixture in the 8×8″ pan to create the crust. Set aside the remaining 1/3 of the mixture.
5. Beat egg whites and granulated sugar until stiff.
6. In a separate bowl, beat whipping cream until soft peaks form.
7. Gently combine beaten egg whites, whipped cream, lemon juice, and crushed strawberries. Spread the mixture over the crust.
8. Sprinkle remaining crust/crumb mixture on top.
9. Freeze at least for 3-6 hours. Cut in squares to serve.
Source: The Tasty Kitchen