Jan 12, 2010

Vodka Sauce



Vodka sauce was something I never tried to make at home - but always have enjoyed either from a jar or at a restaurant.  Little did I know how simple it really is to make! I had just about 1/2 cup of heavy cream left over from holiday baking - that this recipe seemed like a perfect way to use it up (I just hate wasting food - we call it ort from my days a summer camp!)  And there was definitely no ort at this meal.  You can also freeze any left-over sauce for use later.  Enjoy!



Ingredients
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 4 garlic cloves - minced
  • 1 stalk celery, diced
  • 1 carrot, diced
  • 2 tsp tomato paste
  • 1 tsp. sugar
  • 1/8 tsp. dried oregano
  • 1/8 tsp. red pepper flakes
  • 1 (28 oz.) can of crushed tomatoes
  • 1 (14.5 oz.) can of diced tomatoes
  • 2 tbsp. minced fresh basil (or 1 tbsp. dried)
  • salt and black pepper
  • 1 cup vodka
  • 1/2 cup heavy cream
  • 1/2 cup parmesan cheese

Directions

1. Combine olive oil, garlic, tomato paste, sugar, celery, carrot, oregano and red pepper flakes in a large sauce pan over medium heat, until fragrant and veggies softened about 5 minutes.

2. Stir in crushed and diced tomatoes with their juice. 

3. Bring to a simmer and cook until thickened - 15 to 20 minutes.  Season with salt and pepper to taste.   Using an immersion blender - blend the sauce until smooth. 

4.  Add in vodka and simmer for an additional 15 minutes - until sauce has reduced by 1/4. 

5.  Stir in cream and parmesan cheese and keep warm until ready to use. 

Source:  Giada DeLorentis and an adaption of my favorite sauce recipe found here.  

Printer-friendly version

1 comment:

  1. I love vodka sauce and so does my family. All I need is a straw and the pot of sauce ;).

    ReplyDelete