This is my favorite cornbread recipe. I served it with my beef chili. It's really quick to whip up while the soup is simmering for two hours! The addition of the whole corn kernels is one of my favorite parts of this recipe. Enjoy it!
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose four
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 3/4 tsp. table salt
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup frozen (or fresh) corn, thawed
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 8 tbsp. (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1. Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Spray 8-inch-square baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
3. Whisk flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in medium bowl until combined; set aside.
4. In food processor or blender, process brown sugar, thawed corn kernels, and buttermilk until combined, about 5 seconds. Add eggs and process until well combined (corn lumps will remain), about 5 seconds longer.
5. Using rubber spatula, make well in center of dry ingredients; pour wet ingredients into well. Begin folding dry ingredients into wet, giving mixture only a few turns to barely combine; add melted butter and continue folding until dry ingredients are just moistened.
6. Pour batter into prepared baking dish; smooth surface with rubber spatula.
7. Bake until deep golden brown and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 25 to 35 minutes. Cool on wire rack 10 minutes.
Source: Cooks Illustrated