I feel so lucky that a Penzeys spice shop opened up in my area – and even more so that its close enough to my work to run over there during my lunch break. Penzeys fans will know that they send great coupons with their catalogs and all of their spices are top quality. Recently they gave out a large jar of their cinnamon-sugar mix. Aside from having a nice piece of cinnamon toast or topped on oatmeal, I was itching to bake something with it. These muffins were the perfect easy muffin and really showcased the cinnamon sugar. Enjoy!
- 7 Tbsp. unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
For the topping:
- 2/3 cup sugar & 1 Tbsp. ground cinnamon mixed together (or a cinnamon-sugar mix)
- 6 Tbsp. (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, melted
1. Preheat an oven to 350°F. Grease 12 muffin cups with paper liners.
2. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the butter and sugar and beat on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add the egg and beat well until pale and smooth.
3. In another bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, nutmeg and cinnamon.
4. Add to the butter mixture in 2 additions, alternating with the buttermilk and vanilla. Stir just until evenly moistened. The batter will be slightly lumpy.
5. Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin cups, filling each three-fourths full. Bake until the muffins are golden, dry and springy to the touch and a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes.
6. Transfer the pan to a wire rack and let cool for 5 minutes. Unmold the muffins and let stand until cool enough to handle.
7. Put the melted butter in another small bowl. Holding the bottom of a muffin, dip the top into the melted butter, turning to coat it evenly. Immediately dip the top in the cinnamon-sugar mixture, coating it evenly, then tap it to remove excess sugar. Transfer the muffin, right side up, to the rack. Repeat with the remaining muffins. Let cool completely before serving.